Universe, the whole cosmic system of matter and energy of which Earth, and therefore the human race, is a part. Humanity has traveled a long road since societies imagined Earth, the Sun, and the Moon as the main objects of creation, with the rest of the universe being formed almost as an afterthought. Today it is known that Earth is only a small ball of rock in a space of unimaginable vastness and that the birth of the solar system was probably only one event among many that occurred against the backdrop of an already mature universe. This humbling lesson has unveiled a remarkable fact, one that endows the minutest particle in the universe with a rich and noble heritage: events that occurred in the first few minutes of the creation of the universe 13.7 billion years ago turn out to have had a profound influence on the birth, life, and death of galaxies, stars, and planets. Indeed, a line can be drawn from the forging of the matter of the universe in a primal “big bang” to the gathering on Earth of atoms versatile enough to serve as the basis of life. The intrinsic harmony of such a worldview has great philosophical and aesthetic appeal, and it may explain why public interest in the universe has always endured.
top facts about universe
2. Astronauts say that, space smells like hot metal, welding fumes and seared steak.
3. There is a massive cloud of alcohol more than 463,000,000,000 kms across, with which we can have 400 trillion trillion pints of beer. This massive cloud of alcohol is 10,000 light years away from us.
4. Earth (Also read: Amazing facts about Earth) can become a black hole. This can be achieved by compressing earth down to the size of a marble, it would collapse by itself.
5. Do you know that most of your body mass is stardust? 90% of body mass is star dust, because all the elements are created in stars, except hydrogen and helium.
6. 275 million new stars are born every day according to estimates of astronomers.
7. 225 million years is the time taken by our solar system to rotate around the Milky way. Dinosaurs just began to roam on the Earth, the last time Earth was in its current position.
8. Some animals have the ability to thaw in spring and freeze to solid during winter and remain perfectly healthy.
9. Olympus Mons(A large shield volcano) on Mars is almost three times the height of Mt. Everest, which is 27 km tall. It is 55o km wide at the base.